Irish missionary Gena Heraty released after Haiti kidnapping

3 hours ago 9
ARTICLE AD BOX

Jessica LawrenceBBC News NI

NPH International Gena Heraty. She has short brown hair, wearing a dark scarf and blue hoody.NPH International

Gena Heraty was among several people taken in Kenscoff, near Haiti's capital

The family of kidnapped missionary Gena Heraty in Haiti have said they are "relieved beyond words" at her release.

Ms Heraty, who is originally from Westport in County Mayo, is the director of an orphanage in Haiti, and was among several people taken by alleged gang members in Kenscoff, near the capital, on 3 August.

It prompted worldwide appeals from the charity that employs, as well as Taoiseach (Irish PM) Michéal Martin, for her safe release.

In a statement on Friday, Ms Heraty's family confirmed she, alongside the other captives had been freed and thanked those involved in her recovery.

"We are so deeply grateful to everyone, in Haiti and internationally, who has worked tirelessly over these terrible weeks to help secure their safe return," the statement added.

The family thanked Tánaiste (Irish deputy PM) Simon Harris and his team, as well as Irish ambassador to the United States, Geraldine Byrne Nason, for their support.

"The global outpouring of concern, love, prayers, and solidarity shown for Gena and to us by friends, neighbours, communities, colleagues, and indeed those with no connection to us at all has been a huge source of comfort and support," they said.

NPH International Gena, right, is looking towards a child she is holding. She is smiling and has short brown hair. The child is wearing a red hat.NPH International

Gena oversees the orphanage, which is run by the humanitarian organisation Nos Petits Frères Et Soeurs

The family have said the priority is Ms Heraty's "health, protection and privacy".

"We kindly ask that the media respect the need for privacy as all those involved recover from this traumatic ordeal.

"We continue to hold Haiti in our hearts and hope for peace and safety for all those who are affected by the ongoing armed violence and insecurity there."

'Safe and well'

Harris, who is also the Irish Foreign Affairs Minister, confirmed that Ms Heraty, as well as the other captives, are reported to be "safe and well" and it was the "outcome we had all hoped for".

"This has of course been an extraordinarily difficult and stressful situation for the Heraty family," he said.

"I wish to pay tribute to their resilience and determination to support Gena and her fellow captives over these past difficult weeks."

PA Media Simon Harris, a middle-aged man with short graying hair, looks at someone while standing in a room. He is wearing a dark suit jacket, a white collared shirt and dark tie.PA Media

Simon Harris praised Ms Heraty and her family's courage following her kidnapping

The tánaiste described the missionary as a "respected humanitarian and deeply courageous person" who dedicated her life to support vulnerable people in Haiti.

"While we welcome this news, it is also important that we do not lose sight of the challenges facing the people of Haiti," he added.

"I now send Gena, her family and all those released my very best wishes. We will continue to provide all possible support as they recover from their terrible ordeal."

Tommy Marren, who is a presenter at Mid West Radio in Mayo and interviewed the missionary a number of times, said there was a "great sense in relief" knowing she has been released.

"Her resilience has always been extraordinary and I think now more than ever she'll be adamant Haiti will be her home," he told BBC Radio Ulster's Evening Extra programme.

Mr Marren said the family are now "trying to get their heads around the good news" and it is hoped she'll be back in her home county "before the end of this year".

What happened to Gena Heraty?

NPH International Gena, left, is smiling at the camera. She has short brown hair and is wearing a black long sleeve top. A child is in the middle, wearing a bright red hat and a navy zip up jacket. Another woman, right, is smiling at the camera. She is wearing a light grey dress and has a matching hair scarf on. NPH International

Ms Heraty is "safe and well" after her release

Ms Heraty oversees the orphanage, which is run by the humanitarian organisation Nos Petits Frères Et Soeurs (Our Little Brothers And Sisters).

It is located in the commune of Kenscoff, about 10km (6.2 miles) southeast of the capital, Port-au-Prince.

On 3 August, attackers broke into the orphange through a wall in a "planned attack", Mayor Massillon Jean said at the time, before going to the building where Ms Heraty was staying.

Haitian newspaper Le Nouvelliste reported that gang members were thought to be responsible for the attack.

Gang violence and kidnappings are also common in other areas in and around Port-au-Prince, where the UN says armed groups control about 85% of the city.

In the first half of 2025, UN figures show that almost 350 people were kidnapped in Haiti.

Read Entire Article